Traditional publishers are those companies you frequently see on the back cover of the books in stores. They pay you for your writing and not the other way around. Here is a list of some known publishers, what is required to submit your manuscript and the sources for this information. Below this you will find Traditional Publishing Pros and Cons as well as a service video. Please keep in mind that the information provided below was relevant at the date of this post. In no way are we trying to tell you which way to go or that these publishers are bad. This information is here for your use to help you look into which route is best for you.
Harper Collins Canada
- Does not accept unsolicited submissions or query letters. (This means you need an agent)
Hachette Book Group
- Requires a literary agent.
Penguin Random House
- does not accept unsolicited submissions, proposals, manuscripts, illustrations, artwork, or submission queries at this time. This includes submission of work previously published elsewhere.
- They are not publishing picture or illustrated books, cookbooks, self-help books, health and well being books, travel books, poetry, play scripts, short stories, compilations, novellas, chapter books or children’s books (by children’s books, we mean books for under 12's. We are actively looking for Young Adult Fiction, for an age group 12 years +)
Note: As far as I can tell, this place works like a traditional publisher. I didn't see anything about costs.
- Accepts certain manuscripts in the romance genre.
- Does not publish historical novels (except children’s/young adult), science fiction, fantasy, romance, westerns, horror, poetry, short stories, plays, business, scientific or technical reference, or books intended specifically as textbooks.
- Send biographical material about the author (past publishing credentials, education, etc.)
Traditional Publishing Pros
Traditional Publishing Cons
Things to Beware of:
Please note that while at the time these were published, they were true. In the future, they may change. The warnings above in no way are meant to discredit the above companies.
Tips, Tricks and Articles
Publishing and Blogging information. Copyright 2015-2019 All Rights Reserved